Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Poem for Aarnav on the occasion of his Munj - PROMISE

I hear footsteps coming down the stairs,
And most times I can tell whose sound they bear.
It’s the start to my everyday, asking the routine questions -
Did you brush your teeth? What do you want for breakfast?
It’s the promise that our family morning is in session.

As the day lingers on, with work and responsibilities,
I get calendar updates of your daily activities.
I wonder how you manage so much, and usually very well!
Your promise to remain committed makes me marvel.

At your tender age of 11,
you can be goofy, cute and annoying
But when you've had enough, out comes your famous saying –
It’s burnt in my memory and I promise to never forget it -
“My life sucks, with kid privileges and adult responsibilities.”

As the day calms down with the promise,
of seeing you walk back home from school,
It brings wonder to find out once again,
everything that happened, however minuscule.
“How was your day Sweety?” as usual I ask,
“Hi Mamma!... Good” is your quick response, as you move on to your tasks.

My day is filled with promises,
seemingly routine and mundane,
That’s what keeps it normal and simple,
for which you are to blame.

So promise me that - as you step into your youth,
you will always tell yourself nothing but the truth.
You’ll be nice to people and appreciate simple pleasures,
Because in the end you’ll realize that’s the only thing that matters.

Promise to stay enthusiastic or silly when need be,
And accept life’s challenges as part of its journey.
And in turn I promise that I’ll always be there for you,
When you need me - to help your feelings,
however boring or blue.

--Love, Mom

No comments: